Mel’s Milers @CH
Affiliated to EA
Club rules and constitution
- The name of the club is “Mel’s Milers Jogging Club”. (The Club)
- The club colours consist a turquoise and yellow vest.
- All members must wear club colours when competing in races held under EA rules for team events.
- The objectives of the club are to provide the means to encourage, promote and develop running for people of all abilities in accordance with EA rules.
- There shall be a General Committee (the Committee) to manage the business of the club.
- The committee shall be composed of :-
- New Members Secretary
- Social Secretary
- Press Officer
- Social Media Secretary
- 10K Representative
- The position of 10K representative will be filled by a member of the 10K committee and decided upon by the same committee.
- The committee is empowered :-
- To fill any vacancy that may arise
- To co-opt members on to the committee
- To form sub-committees for special purposes, with responsibility to the committee.
- The Chairman as elected shall preside at all meetings of the General Committee. If the Chairman is absent from any meeting, the Vice-Chairman shall take the chair.
- The term of office for the MM chairperson is set at 3 years with the option of being re-elected to serve one further term of 3 years maximum. However, the Chairperson can opt to stand down at any time during their term of office should they so wish.
- The Committee shall meet at intervals not less than two months upon being notified by the Secretary. The quorum at these meetings shall be one half of the existing voting strength.
Each member of the Committee is entitled to one vote. In the event of a tie, the Chairman is eligible for a second (casting) vote. Where a Committee position is shared between two individuals, there will be one vote allowed.
- An Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the club shall be held once a year at a time and place determined by the Committee. Not more than 15 months shall elapse between the date of one such meeting and that of the next.
- All general meetings other than AGMs shall be called Extraordinary General Meetings (EGMs) AGMs and EGMs are called together General Meetings.
- The AGM should be held before the end of November each year and the business shall include:-
- Reports of the past year’s activities
- Presentation of the accounts
- Agenda items will be sent one month in advance
- Election of the Committee
The Committee Members shall retire annually and shall immediately become eligible for re-election. Any member of the Club may nominate one or more members to fill any vacancies in the Elected Members of the Committee by sending his nomination to the Secretary at least 24 hours before the Annual General Meeting. Each nomination shall carry the signature of one member as proposer and one member as seconder.
- Notice of all General Meetings and the business to be conducted shall be given via email to all members at least 28 days before such general meeting.
- All motions to be put to the AGM shall be presented in writing to the Secretary at least 14 days prior to the meeting date in the relevant year.
- Each individual member (above the age of 16) present at the General Meeting is entitled to one vote.
In the case of an equality of votes, whether on a show of hands or on a poll, the Chairman of the General Meeting shall be entitled to a second or casting vote.
- No rule shall be made, or rescinded except at an AGM or EGM called for the purpose and any such amendment shall be subject to the concurrence of at least two thirds of the members present and eligible to vote.
No member shall be entitled to vote unless his annual subscription has been paid.
- No business shall be transacted at any General Meeting unless 25% of the membership and 51% of the committee are present when the meeting proceeds to business.
- An EGM shall be called by the Secretary:-
- At the request of the committee
- On written requisition of 15 members
- All members of the club shall pay subscriptions as shall be determined at the AGM.
- The membership year runs from 1st April. An application for membership of the club must be made on the appropriate form and accompanied by one year’s subscription.
Membership shall be open to persons who are amateurs as defined by EA rules.
- Any member whose subscriptions are three months in arrears may be expelled and/or considered to have resigned from the Club at the discretion of the Committee.
- Notwithstanding Rule 23, any member whose subscriptions are more than three months in arrears shall be deemed to have resigned their membership of the Club.
- Expulsion of members. In case the conduct of any member shall, in the opinion of the General Committee, be injurious to the interests of the Club, the General Committee shall be empowered to request such member to resign and provided that the General Committee is unanimous in its decision, order that the member concerned shall cease to be a member of the Club. Such a decision shall be absolute and the member who is expelled shall have no claim against the Club.
- Member’s liability. No member shall act in any way so as to involve the Club in any claim by any Third party for any loss, damage or injury in either tort or contract. No member shall, unless duly authorized by the General Committee in writing, save as hereinafter provided, charge the Club property or pledge the credit of the Club in any manner whatsoever.
- The financial year shall end on 30th September and as soon after that date as practicable the Treasurer shall submit the annual accounts.
- All documents and accounts relating to the operating and funding of the Club shall be open for inspection at reasonable times by any Club Members, subject to protecting personal information and the provisions of the Data Protection Act, provided that not less than 48 hours notice in any readable format is given by that member to the Club Secretary.
- All income and property acquired in the fulfilment of the objectives of these rules shall belong to the Club and are hereby absolutely and for all purposes invested in the Committee for the time being as trustees thereof.
All Club monies and income shall be deposited in a bank and/or building society approved by the Committee and all withdrawals shall be made by any of the following:-
Transfers between Club accounts held in one bank or building society may be made by any one of the above.
- If at any General Meeting a resolution for the dissolution of the Club shall be passed by a majority of the members present, and at an EGM held not less than six weeks thereafter (of which not less than four weeks written notice shall have been given to each member) at which not less than one quarter of the members shall be present, that resolution shall be confirmed by a resolution passed by the majority of two thirds of the members voting thereon. The Committee shall thereupon, or at such future date as shall be specified in such resolution, proceed to realise the property of the Club and after the discharge of all liabilities shall return all funds to EA.
- These Rules and Constitution shall become operative 1st January 2004.
- Propositions to pass new Rules or to abolish or alter existing ones shall be put into the form of resolutions and discussed at either Annual or Extraordinary General Meeting. Such resolutions shall be carried by a majority of the members voting and there shall be at least 25% members present and voting. Notices of such resolutions shall be emailed to each member at least seven days before the holding of the meeting at which they are discussed.
- In recognition of her achievement setting up the Club, Mel shall be given the title and role of Life President of MM. Life President is defined as
- Life long. Mel will not be required to be re-elected at any time.
- The Life President shall receive the agenda and minutes of each committee meeting.
- The Life President can request of the Chairperson attendance to any committee meeting.
- The committee can request the Life President to attend committee meetings if they need her to attend.
Updated November 2016